HOOD CANAL — Olympic National Forest will close and lock seasonal gates on the south part of the forest to help protect wildlife, effective immediately.
Locked gates include Road 2451 in the North Fork Skokomish River watershed; gates on the 2354, 2353, and 2361 roads in the South Fork Skokomish River watershed; and on the 2294 and 2270 roads in the Wynoochee River watershed.
These closures, which will last through April. 30, are part of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Olympic National Forest and the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife. These closures are designed to:
1) increase wildlife utilization of habitat;
2) reduce the siltation of lakes and streams;
3) provide diverse recreational hunting opportunities;
4) reduce harassment levels on deer and elk; and
5) increase the escapement rate of buck deer and bull elk.
The closures extend only to the use of motorized vehicles. Accessing the road systems behind the gates via hiking or mountain biking is still permissible.
For questions, contact Betsy Howell at Olympic National Forest, 360-765-2230