Olympia - The Washington State Fire Marshal's Office would like to provide residents with fireworks safety tips that will keep the holiday safe, enjoyable, and memorable.
· Purchase Washington legal consumer fireworks from a licensed and locally permitted retail stand.
· Only use fireworks outdoors and away from buildings on a flat, level, fireproof surface free from debris.
· Read and follow all safety labels and instructions.
· Have a water supply and water bucket available at all times.
· Light only one firework at a time.
· Never place any part of your body directly over a firework.
· Never throw fireworks or light fireworks in your hands.
· Never pick up or try to re-ignite a firework that fails to light.
· Never carry fireworks in your pockets or shoot them from a container.
· Always have adults light fireworks. Keep all fireworks including matches and lighters away from children.
· Allow discharged fireworks to sit for at least 20 minutes before submerging them fully in water for at least 10 minutes. Dispose of drained products in a plastic bag.
· Keep all pets indoors and protected from the sights and sounds of the holiday.
· Clean up all fireworks debris the next morning to be a good neighbor!
Be Prepared - Be Safe - Be Responsible
For more information about fireworks safety visit http://www.wsp.wa.gov/fireworks/ or call (360) 596-3929.