we

Photo: Unisci24

SHELTON - Fire officials say Sunday’s house fire on East Sleaford Rd. near Lake Limerick in Mason County could have had a far worse outcome.

On Sunday at around 3 a.m., Central Mason Fire Chief Tim McKern says a renter of a double-wide mobile home in the 100 block of East Sleaford caught fire because of a space heater. McKern says the stand-alone heater was too close to the ceiling in the living room and ignited the ceiling. McKern says the fire consumed the home and it was a total loss.

McKern says the occupant of the home is staying with the American Red Cross until they find a new home.

Despite the loss, fire officials say the outcome of the fire could have been far worse. “Homes that use a propane space heater need to have proper ventilation. This home did not have proper ventilation and the heather was likely emitting carbon monoxide. If we wouldn’t have gotten the call at 3 a.m. by 6 a.m. we could of have a much worse scenario on our hands.”

No one was hurt in the fire.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.